A Message from Gary:
For so many people, this is an incredibly uncertain and difficult time. The challenges the Coronavirus pandemic has brought are unprecedented, and we will have to work especially hard in the weeks ahead to fight this virus and the health and economic concerns it brings.
Michigan has been home to my family for five generations, and I’ve lived here my whole life. In difficult moments like this, I often think of how resilient the people of our state are — it’s just in our DNA. We’ve seen tough days before, and we will rise to meet this challenge and face it as we always have during times of turmoil: together.
And here is my promise to you: I will always stand up for Michigan. My number one priority is to keep you and your family safe, and I will never waver in my commitment to fighting for financial aid for working families, equipment to protect our doctors and nurses on the front lines and, now more than ever, working to expand access to affordable health care.
Stay safe. Stay strong. We will get through this together.
What You Can Do To Help:
- Stay home, stay safe, save lives: Many people can have Coronavirus and spread it unknowingly — the best thing you can do to prevent the spread is by staying home unless it is absolutely essential.
- Follow Coronavirus prevention guidelines: Wash your hands with soap and warm water (20 seconds!) and if you must be in public spaces, practice social distancing and stay six feet away from others.
- Support your local food bank: Families who are already dealing with food insecurity are going to be especially vulnerable during this time. Find a food bank near you and help them keep their shelves replenished.
- Donate to the United Ways of Michigan: Find your local United Way of Michigan fund to support seniors, children, those who are recently unable to work and others in your community in need of aid.
- Visit michigan.gov/coronavirus to access the state’s online guide to apply for aid, get information or learn about volunteer and donation opportunities.
What Gary’s Doing:
- Providing historic unemployment aid: Gary wrote, introduced and helped pass the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Act to expand unemployment benefits and get more aid for more workers over a longer period of time.
- Expanding free testing for Coronavirus: Gary introduced and passed the Free COVID-19 Testing Act to make sure all Americans have adequate testing capabilities.
- Protecting small businesses: Gary fought to expand the funding available for small business loans and grants in the CARES Act, including funding for women and minority-owned businesses, and he will keep pushing for additional funding so businesses can stay afloat.
- Getting funding for hospitals, health care workers and our health care system: Gary worked tirelessly to provide more critical funding for already overstretched hospitals and is continuing to fight to get health care workers the supplies they need to stay safe on the front lines of the pandemic.
Resources for You:
- How to get tested for Coronavirus
- Find school meal pickup sites
- Apply for unemployment aid
- Find local resources
- Help for small businesses
- Find a food bank near you
Visit michigan.gov/coronavirus for more resources and information available.